perl5.20

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Jul 18 14:54:39 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Frank Schima wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I cannot get any perl 5.20 ports to build. They all fail in staging. What am
> I doing wrong?

I think it's my fault. I only figured it out a few days ago, but
didn't take the time to fix it yet.

I patched perl5.20 in such a way that the modules would be installed to
    /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.20/
rather than to locations like
    /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2/
    /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/

But I think that the problem is in the perl PortGroup which has that
path hardcoded. I fixed the path in the Perl's Portfile, but not in
the PortGroup. The fix needs to depend on Perl version (else it would
break all older versions of Perl).

In my opinion it doesn't really make sense to use the last number to
install the modules or at least it's not "compatible" with the way
MacPorts works. If we would want to be pedantic, a new perl
sub-version (like 5.18.0 -> 5.18.1) would mean revbumping all perl
modules, else the binary archive of the module contains different
files than what gets installed from source. On the other hand this
usually doesn't matter unless the person updating Perl modules forgets
to add the latest version to the following configuration line:

configure.args-append "-D
inc_version_list=\"5.16.1/${os.platform}-thread-multi${platsuffix}
5.16.1 5.16.0/${os.platform}-thread-multi${platsuffix} 5.16.0\""

My preference would be to fix the Perl PortGroup if possible. And if
we figure out that it wouldn't work, let's go back to the old
approach. But it would be very nice to try to apply a relatively
simple fix to the portgroup.

Mojca