perl5.20

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Jul 18 15:14:40 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion it doesn't really make sense to use the last number to
>> install the modules or at least it's not "compatible" with the way
>
> The problem with this is that XS-based modules can in fact be incompatible
> between minor versions. Only pure-Perl modules are safe to install the way
> you want.

When I last asked for a trivial bugfix (which lead to broken modules)
for 5.16, the developers claimed that they couldn't easily patch it
because it would break backwards compatilibily of ABI between 5.16.x
and 5.16.y.

And assuming that there are indeed problems with XS-based modules,
MacPorts currently doesn't do anything at all to address that problem.
I guess that revbumping the port after such an incompatibility gets
discovered would solve the problem? And I guess that even if such an
incompatibility exists now, the latest perl would still happily load
the old module in the old path (and crash?).

So I don't see the difference at all (between current approach and my
attempt) even if what you say is true. The only difference is actually
that a bunch of ports (and nobody knows which these ports are) link
against
    /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.18.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
and when Perl 5.18 gets a new release, all such ports will stop
working until they are revbumped.

But it's also true that what I tried to do isn't officially supported
by Perl packagers. If I asked for help people suggested me to use
perlbrew. (Which doesn't really seem the suitable answer in our
context.)

Mojca