What would YOU like to see 'port doctor' do?

Kyle Sammons ksammons at macports.org
Tue Jul 22 11:01:23 PDT 2014

Hey Joshua,

On 7/21/14, 11:47 PM, Joshua Root wrote
> If you're going to check these, you might as well check for sqlite and
> openssl too. We also need the system's tclsh for building from source,
> which includes selfupdate.
Done.
> I assume you're using the $prefix variable here, not hardcoding
> /opt/local. :)
Yep, I am indeed using $prefix!
> Make sure you're distinguishing between not present and not readable
> here, as some ports deliberately install directories that are not world
> readable.
Just finished pushing this change up. Good catch.
> This command would probably be a good place to do a more exhaustive
> check for the presence and completeness of the Command Line Tools
> (compared to the one we do at runtime).
This was actually the plan from the start, but I pushed it off and ended
up forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder!
> There are some more unusual ways that people manage to break their
> systems, like replacing executables (sed, tar, etc...) in /usr/bin with
> incompatible versions (or just deleting them). I'm not sure if you want
> to go down that rabbit hole, but if you can find a general way of
> checking that won't break when OS updates change the files, that'd be great.

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure how that would work, or even if it would
work, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions,
-Kyle