perl5.20

Frank Schima mf2k at macports.org
Tue Jul 22 12:50:23 PDT 2014

On Jul 22, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> So here's my short proposal:
>
> 1. switch the perl5 port to actually install perl5.20.x
> 2. deprecate and remove the other perl5.x ports
> 3. change the perl5 portgroup to just build/install p5 ports that work with whatever we install as perl5 (currently 5.20.x)
> 4. Update other ports to depend on the p5- module(s) and the perl5 port
> 5. Make some way to (easily) force rebuilds of all p5 ports when there's a new release of perl5.x.y (probably on both new .x.0 and .x.y releases)
> * one thing I thought might work would be to [ab]use epoch by setting it to the YYYYMMDD of the perl5 release in the perl5 portgroup (so individual ports can still update it to a newer epoch if needed, and we can keep bumping it for every perl5 version). I haven't though about it too much or tested it yet, though.

While I’m all for getting perl 5.20 up to speed on Macports, I’m against removing perl 5.16 or perl 5.18. I have been testing a number of p5 ports with perl 5.18 and only 1 of them failed to build for me. But it is an important one. The port is p5(.18)-pdl and it is needed for the demeter/demeter-devel ports. Given that we cannot yet build any p5.20 ports, I think it is way too early to be switching to it by default. Much less the only option. So I vote we at least keep perl 5.16 and perl 5.18 and all of their modules around for a while.

Cheers!
Frank