perl5.20

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Jul 24 02:20:35 PDT 2014

On 2014-7-24 01:20 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> One slightly easier step-by-step approach could be the following
>
> 1.) Replace
>     perl5.branches      5.14 5.16 5.18
> in all perl modules with
>     perl5.branches_blacklist 5.8 5.10 5.12
> or to remove branche_blacklist altogether if the module builds with
> all perl versions. When that blacklist isn't present (or empty) simply
> make the module work with all known perl versions (defined in the
> PortGroup).

There's no need for an additional option and code for blacklisting. If
you want modules to opt out of perl versions rather than opting in, set
a default for perl5.branches in the portgroup, containing all the
versions. Then use perl5.branches-delete in portfiles to remove the perl
versions that they don't work with.

On another topic related to updating perl modules, how about we remove
all the p5 ports that don't need to exist? If a module is not (directly
or indirectly) (a) depending on something that is in MacPorts but not in
CPAN, or (b) depended on by something that is in MacPorts but not in
CPAN; it should really just be installed with CPAN.

- Josh