Database bindings

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sun Jul 27 06:54:11 PDT 2014

Hi:

My myth* ports need Perl, Python and Php bindings to the database.
Up to now, I've used mysql5 for the database and the relevant ports
for the bindings defaulted to the same--life was good!  But all good
things change and we want to phase out mysql5.  Now...life is a
little less good.

The 'binding' ports are:

py27-mysql
variants  [+]mariadb55, mysql4, mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, percona55

p5.16-dbd-mysql
variants  mariadb, mysql4, [+]mysql5, mysql51, mysql55, percona

php54-mysql
variants  mariadb, mysql4, mysql5, mysql51, mysql55, mysql56,
[+]mysqlnd, percona

Issues:
py-mysql and p-dbd-mysql default to different databases.

There are inconsistencies in the naming of the maria and percona
variants:  mariadb55 v. mariadb and percona55 v. percona.

p5-dbd-mysql doesn't offer a mysql56 variant.

Now that we have maria10.0 and maria10.1 ports, should we not have
matching variants -- maria, maria10.0 and maria10.1?

 From my point of view, it would be ideal if these bindings were
subports instead of variants so that I can ensure that users get the
right bindings.  Either that or MacPorts needs to pick one database
and version as THE ONE.  I know this has been debated but (to my
knowledge) not resolved.

Thoughts?

Craig
PS I think Ruby has similar issues; maybe others.  Thank God I don't
have any more bindings to mess with.