open-cobol update and destroot sandbox violations (was Re: Package open-cobol not working for me)

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Jul 29 09:38:25 PDT 2014

After seeing https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44485 filed against
open-cobol about this same issue, I decided to check up on the upstream bug
I had filed that was blocking my update to version 2.0, and found that it
had some new responses: https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/bugs/73/

Could someone who is more well-versed in the history of MacPorts help me to
better explain to upstream why we install to a destroot and prevent writes
outside of it?