[120565] trunk/dports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jun 2 01:57:26 PDT 2014

On 2014-6-2 09:22 , Clemens Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Was this really a binary incompatible update? The soname didn't change.
>
> TBH, I don't think it was. However, the compatibility version of the dylib
> increased, so I opted on the safe side.

An increased compatibility version means that symbols were added. So an
executable built against a higher compatibility version can't run with a
lib with a lower one, but the other way round is fine.

If symbols are removed or have their semantics changed, the soname
should change. So a higher compatibility version alone should not be
taken as indicating that rev bumps for dependents are needed.

- Josh