Permissions change with MacPorts 2.3?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Jun 3 18:16:22 PDT 2014

At 11:02 PM +0200 6/3/14, Clemens Lang wrote:
>Hi,
>
>>  I sometimes use EasyFind to search in portfiles.  I noticed today
>>  that the macports folder under ${prefix}/var is no longer visible.  I
>>  would guess this happened after I upgraded to MacPorts 2.3 but I
>>  can't be certain.  Using the command line, I see the following:
>>  [Š]
>>  Was it an intended change to hide this directory?  Or a glitch on my system?
>
>That was intentional. In specific, it's this Changelog entry:
>
>   Disable Spotlight indexing on build directories, distfiles,
>   registry, log files, archives, base source and the default ports
>   tree. (cal in r113649)
>
>You can avoid this by manually reverting the change and touching a file
>named ".nohide" in the directory. See
>   http://trac.macports.org/changeset/113649

Thanks.  I noticed that in the change log but
didn't see how it was implemented.

Based on some searching (ie no hands-on
experience!), it seems that it might be simpler
to create a ".metadata_never_index" file [1]
inside that folder to encourage Spotlight to
leave it alone.  Alternatively, we could add
".noindex" to the folder name to achieve the same
effect.

Wouldn't one of these be a better solution?

Craig

[1]
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/92784/preventing-spotlight-from-indexing-files-folders