Access to machines with old OS versions/architectures, like 10.4, 10.5, ... ppc

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jun 5 11:54:18 PDT 2014

Hi,

> I was wondering if there was any chance/interest to set up a bunch of
> computers with different architectures and OS versions installed (but
> mainly setups like 10.4/PPC, 10.4/i386, 10.5/PPC, 10.6/x86_64) so that
> a few trusted developers could have ssh access to those machines in
> order to be able to test and fix issues on those machines every now
> and then.

I have a PowerMac G5 next to my desk that is intended for this very
purpose (or as buildbot, but I'm not sure there really is a need for it
anymore). I'm not sure what the electricity bill on that would be, but
I could certainly provide the connectivity.

I didn't set it up yet and I currently have no place in my apartment
where I could leave it running 24/7, but since I'll be moving in a
couple of months that problem might solve itself.

> Is there anyone else who would find such a setup useful?

I'd mainly use it to test for base development. But then again, I think
these machines are getting less and less important, and we might just
go ahead and ignore them in the near future. As for i386/x86_64 boxes,
it might be simpler to virtualize those.

--
Clemens Lang