KDE3

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 08:19:44 PDT 2014

Hello,

On Jun5, 2014, at 21:34, Eric Gallager <egall at gwmail.gwu.edu> wrote:

> Of those ports you mention, I currently only have kchmviewer installed
> on my current machine, which I installed while testing different
> chm-viewing applications. I generally use the Chmox port for those
> purposes now though.

Are you using the +kde variant of this port? According to the Portfile, the port essentially depends on qt3, which is another issue. Then, there is a +kde variant, which is announced as “untested”. I would in this case tend to just make the variant obsolete, and not the port itself, as I don’t intend to meddle with things at qt3 level here.

> I would still urge caution when
> removing/obsoleting the rest though, just in case. While kde3 may be
> old and in some cases broken, one advantage that it does have is a
> smaller installation footprint and does not take as long to compile. I
> have been leaving qt3 installed on my current machine for this reason
> for a while, so that its conflict with qt4-mac will prevent my machine
> from wasting time compiling qt4-mac, at least until I have more
> compile time available…

I see your point concerning the required caution when removing ports. This was partly my purpose when writing the initial mail. I will probably work rather incrementally, starting with the ports which have clear alternatives/replacements. This should also leave time for corrections if needed.

Cheers,

Nicolas