perl (again)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 11:21:08 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Frank Schima wrote:

> 1. We need a perl5.20 port. Difficulty: ?
>
> It would be really nice if the perl5.X ports could be merged into a single
> Portfile with subports so that new perl versions would be relatively easy to
> add. All of the current perl ports seem to be different enough that I don’t
> understand what is required for perl5.20.

When did you last check the differences?

I went through the ports a while ago and there were almost no
differences left. Other than a few patch and the nuisance of

configure.args-append "-D
inc_version_list=\"5.16.1/${os.platform}-thread-multi${platsuffix}
5.16.1 5.16.0/${os.platform}-thread-multi${platsuffix} 5.16.0\""

... which I believe we should get rid of with (yet unimplemented)
     https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43480

I went ahead and committed perl5.20 (as the discussion of what to do
might last forever anyway). I'm willing to merge the perls into a
single port with suports (depending on what we want to do with these
multiple versions), but I would be really grateful if someone would be
willing to look into the above mentioned ticket. We would need a
slight modification of the configure/build scripts. (I would suggest
to drop support for 5.8 and 5.10 at least.)

Other questions are still open. (One of the "complaints" about the
current situation [ignoring the situation itself] is that if I go
ahead and start modifying maintained p5-foo ports, maintainers will
start complaining. And if I submit tickets, maintainers will do
nothing; by the time the tickets go into timeout mode, I might no
longer remember the order of how the ports need to be committed and I
might no longer have time and/or motivation to actually commit all
those changes.)

Mojca