Adding "upstream issue" to ticket resolutions

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 12:25:17 PDT 2014

Hi,

Sometimes the open tickets are really upstream issues that the
maintainer isn't able to fix until the upstream solves a particular
problem. I would like to clearly distinguish these tickets from the
rest.

Such tickets can either stay open for years (and give a bad impression
that tickets in the tracker are too often ignored [which is actually
true to some extent]) or they can be closed with "wontfix" and go
completely out of radar (if upstream actually fixes the problem,
backporting the fix might still be desired) + maybe even discouraged
anyone to submit a patch.

It would be nice to introduce a special state, meaning that while this
is still an issue, it will only be fixed if the upstream fixes the
problem (or if someone is willing to invest time to fix this). Like
here:
    https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues?labels=upstream+issue&page=1&state=open

There might be other useful states like "infoneeded" when users report
something and then disappear without feedback. Truth to be told, I
also find the "accept" option weird and almost never used (I'm unable
to assign the ticket to someone else and if someone else assigns it to
me, there's no point it explicitly marking it as "accepted"). A
"confirmed" state would be more useful than accepted.

Mojca