[121204] trunk/dports

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Jun 23 11:51:02 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014, at 11:47 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> Taken from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#UTF-8
>
> I'd say putting "XTerm*locale: true" to ${prefix}/etc/X11/Xresources
> (i.e., in
> most cases /opt/local/etc/X11/Xresources) should be enough.
>
> But to be honest, even catting this test file worked fine before adding
> the
> mentioned options:
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt

Before adding in "XTerm*locale: true" to ~/.Xdefaults, listing the UTF-8
file resulted in the xterm locking -- it printed some characters, but it
all looks like gobbledygook. After adding in the change and restarting
X11.app, the xterm at least does not lock when listing that file. But,
the output is still gobbledygook. So: Progress!

My goal in all of this is to provide the easiest means by which a new
end-user of GNU Radio can do work. Any terminal that correctly handles
GKT, WX and QT GUIs by default will be sufficient. Apple's Terminal.app
does not seem to handle GKT displays correctly when using the default
GTK{2,3} as provided by MacPorts; maybe some variant would do the trick,
but, again, I'm looking for just "sudo port install gnuradio", go get
some coffee, and then enjoy using it.  I'm hoping to avoid special
variants and applications, unless they are just freaking amazing and
thus worth confusing the end-user to have.

I've been working on Xterm terminals since 1986; UTF8 is the first
instance where they have let me down in any real way. They might not be
the most modern or user friendly, but they work like I want them to and
I understand how to use them. Since X11.app comes with the Xterm as a
default application, that's the way to go IMHO. The above change is
simple enough I think I can talk noobs into getting it in place; so,
that's good enough for my needs assuming it continues to work.

Thanks for all the feedback. - MLD