Checking for C++ runtime link mis-matches ?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jun 23 20:20:19 PDT 2014

On 2014-6-24 10:01 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Christopher Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Does MacPorts now check for linking c++ runtime mis-matches, i.e. when one library using one runtime, libc++ say, links against another using an incompatible runtime, libstdc++ ?
>
> Not that I know of. My understanding was that a compile error would occur, so you wouldn't ever get to the point of having a compiled item which you could check; compilation would fail before that happened.

Even in theory, you couldn't check for this until link time. It isn't
even an error just to link against a library that uses a different C++
runtime, since it might only use C++ objects internally. It's only an
error if you actually pass C++ objects between bits of code using
different runtimes.

- Josh