commit rights ...

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Mar 6 05:28:51 PST 2014

On 2014-03-05 20:06, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> IIRC there were supposed to be regular (annual?) portmgr elections to
> make sure the people on it were ones the community of committers
> wanted, and to make sure they were people who had enough time to
> dedicate to the project.

No formal process how to determine port manager has been defined yet.

As far as I remember, the last time we discussed an (annual) election
was when Bryan Blackburn (blb@) retired from portmgr. However, I think
there was no new candidate interested, so the discussion ceased...

> If we've got portmgr members who don't have time, to review committer
> applications, then it would be nice if they would step down (or be
> moved to the elder council) so that someone with time could take on
> additional responsibilities (assuming that there is someone
> interested in joining portmgr).

I still have interest in MacPorts, but at the moment I don't think I am
steering the project much. If someone else is being able to commit more
time for MacPorts I would give up my position or we go back to four port
managers.

Another option would be to revise the commit access application
completely. For example, it could be done in public on macports-dev
instead of letting portmgr handle them in private. A simple system could
be that the applicant needs three sponsors/warrantors from the existing
developers for any applicant until he/she gets commit access.

Rainer