naming scikits related name ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Wed Mar 12 08:30:27 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I need to implement a port for one of the "scikits" packages, `samplerate`, and I am a bit confused with all the naming. I guess part of this confusion comes from PyPI and https://scikits.appspot.com/scikits itself, and the fact that the packages are not all maintained actively.

So if I understand things right, all this started with the idea that all these "scikits" would install into the scikits.* namespace, eg. "scikits.timeseries", "scikits.statmodels", etc. These seem to be mostly legacy.

I the meanwhile some of the packages dropped `scikits` completely from their naming, e.g. `statsmodels` in PyPI and this lead to the `py-statsmodels` in Macports. Fine.

Then there are some packages now called `scikit-*` and these seem to use namespaces like `sklearn` and `skimage`, and translate to `py-scikit-image` and `py-scikit-learn` in Macports.

The rest is what I would call //legacy// and still use scikits.* namespace and the `scikits.` prefix to the names on PyPI, but appears without this prefix on https://scikits.appspot.com/scikits.

So if I understand all right, this would translate to `py-scikits-samplerates` (scikits w/ S) and is to be compared with ports like `py-scikits-{bootstrap,bvp_solver` or `py26-scikits-*` to remain consistent.

Is this correct?
~petr