Move part of macports infrastructure to GitHub

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Sun Mar 16 11:42:10 PDT 2014

Ivan Larionov <xeron.oskom at gmail.com> writes:

> I want to start this discussion mainly about ports tree, but actually base and some other stuff could use github and infra around it as well. I understand this is not so easy and may be you already discussed it and may be already decided not to do, but there are huge pros:
>
> * git >> svn
> * pull requests are awesome! No need to poke around with patch files attached to tickets
> * nice UI, tools and infra around
>
> which will result in more pros:
>
> * people will look at macports more positively
> * and will contribute more!
>
> Actually I see lot of people keeping their local ports at github: https://github.com/search?q=macports&type=Repositories&ref=searchresults
>
> What do you think?

I know this is a hot topic but I will try to avoid any flame wars.

If MacPorts really wants to switch to distributed version control, then
I would suggest Mercurial. I have experimented with using Mercurial for
the MacPorts repo and found that the mercurial UI is much, much more
consistent than git coming from Subversion.

I've actually maintained a repo with merges, tags, and branches
correctly merged in here:

https://smf.io/macports