Working with git-svn or hgsubversion (was: Move part ofmacportsinfrastructure to GitHub)b)

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Sun Mar 16 16:54:44 PDT 2014

Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to chime in and offer my $.02. I'll try to keep it brief though, because nobody wants to read thousands of large opinionated posts in this thread if it's supposed to go somewhere.
>
> I think the popularity gives git the clear advantage over mercurial or any of the other systems. Also, recent versions of OS X ship with git in the command line tools, but it doesn't seem hg is in that package. Since one possible advantage of git would be to efficiently sync the ports tree using git, I think that gives git a clear advantage.

Sigh. The popularity of git has always surprised me since Mercurial
accomplishes the same thing and is much, much safer to use.

I have been with many other teams that switched to git because of a few
(loud) proponents and never once was it worth the headache of git. As a
team, they have all suffered from someone tripping over one of
fast-forward merging, rebasing, or figuring out what 'git checkout'
really does.

Mercurial on the other hand guarantees safety of history rewriting
(through changeset evolution) and has the better scaling over git,
thanks to Facebook's contributions:

https://code.facebook.com/posts/218678814984400/scaling-mercurial-at-facebook/

... but I digress. This has already turned into a git vs. hg flame war
and I did not want to go down that path.