[117817] trunk/dports/devel/automake

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 05:33:24 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:11 AM, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:

> If that is what is happening then you must be using the MacPorts Python
> ports as well.

Yes I am.

> The intent of the patch is for the macro to determine the
> correct Python installation paths for whichever Python is passed in env var
> PYTHON or failing that whichever Python it finds in the current search path.
>
> So if you are building a non-MacPorts project you should be using a
> non-MacPorts
> Python that is built to expect your installed Python modules where ever you
> plan to install them.

Why? That means that MacPorts python can only be used for MacPorts, so
are you saying that now I should install another version of python
along with all the required dependencies for third party code outside
of MacPorts? That makes no sense, the whole point of MacPorts is to
ease installation of software now you're essentially saying it can
only be used to install dependencies for other MacPorts ports?

> That's not very clear, is it?  I hope you understand my point.  You want
> these paths
> to point to where the Python in use will search for modules, not just in
> the arbitrary
> locations ${prefix} and ${exec_prefix} (although that's the norm for
> non-MacPorts installations).

I agree that MacPorts should install libraries in this path but we
need be able to use MacPorts to build other software on our systems.

Cheers

Adam