MacPorts automake and python

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 15:16:15 PDT 2014

Adam Mercer <ram at macports.org> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Before: my project installed into /path/foo/a
>> After:  my project installed into /path/foo/b
>
> Got you, if I configured using: ./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt
>
> the the Python modules would be installed in:
> $HOME/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
> After the change it wants to install them in:
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

Ok, yeah, that's what I was wondering. Hacking autotools to change this
behavior is ludicrous. This change most certainly needs to be
reverted.

Honestly, I don't know why we're messing with automake at all. If this
is just to make installing ports (from the perspective of the portfile
author) easier then why can't this type of change go in the python
portgroup?