How do I cause standalone X11 apps to use MacPorts X11?

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Mar 26 11:28:20 PDT 2014

On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:22, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> From the users list: some applications are pulling up the system stub X11 indicating that X11 is no longer available, even though MacPorts was used to install xorg-server.
>
> Is there a recommended solution to get MacPorts’ X11 to be used instead of the system stub?

The stubs are there for projects that linked against /usr/X11.  All you really need to do is setup symlinks to redirect them to your MP prefix.  I recommend starting with the XQuartz hook (which is installed on the system to setup the links to /opt/X11) and then just changing them to the MacPorts prefix (/opt/local in the example below):

sudo port -v install xorg
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist
sudo /usr/X11/libexec/xquartz_postinst.sh
sudo rm /usr/X11
sudo rm /usr/X11R6
sudo ln -s /opt/local /usr/X11
sudo ln -s /opt/local /usr/X11R6

Note that loading the launchd.plist requires logout and login for $DISPLAY to propagate.

--Jeremy