naming of python scripts ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Fri Mar 28 10:00:24 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I am realising, that some python packages which also install scripts in `bin` provide also version dependent names. For example py27-coverage (which I am looking at) is providing apart from `coverage` also `coverage2` and `coverage-2.7`.

In combination with Macports Portgroup which places these scripts end in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/ and links with version postfix are created. This leads to quite weird names link;

- coverage-2.7
- coverage2-2.7
- coverage-2.7-27

So wouldn't it be decidable that the Portgroup removes these additional scripts (only differing by a version postfix before the links are created?

Thanks!
~petr