MacPorts Statistics

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Mar 28 19:03:08 PDT 2014

Branching the subject a little, perhaps, but...

Looking at the statistics page for a particular port, say libpng:

http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/categories/22/ports/2455

This has a lot of information that a user might be interested in
before installing a port.  Right now, the port search page on the web
leads to the Portfile, eg:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/libpng/Portfile

which isn't the prettiest advertisement for a piece of software.

To me, the web search should give the potential user enough
information to decide if whether to install the package or not.  A
rough draft would be:

=================
 From Portfile:
-port/subport name  (link to Portfile)
-categories
-version/revision
-long_description
-variants (list with descriptions)
-homepage (as link)
-license
-platforms
-supported_archs
-dependencies (as links to other port pages; bonus marks if it could
link to an rdeps graph!)

 From statistics:
># reported installs
-requested                /   last week, 1 month ago, 1 year ago
-installed as dependency  /   last week, 1 month ago, 1 year ago
-rank of reported installs, requested, last week:  xxx of 18,312
-link to page with more detailed statistics

 From buildbots or package server (if possible):
>Dates of most recent builds
-version built   /   Mavericks,  Mtn Lion,  Lion,      Snow Leopard
Eg:
1.2.3_4              yesterday   yesterday  failed     unsupported
(indicator if unsuccessful, not supported on that OS)

I don't know if the last section is even possible.  Would likely
require the buildbots to update a database at the end of each build?

Thoughts?

Craig