naming of python scripts ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Mon Mar 31 10:43:32 PDT 2014

On 31 Mar 2014, at 18:09, Peter Danecek <Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it> wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2014, at 02:54, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 28, 2014, at 12:00, Peter Danecek wrote:
>>
>>> I am realising, that some python packages which also install scripts in `bin` provide also version dependent names. For example py27-coverage (which I am looking at) is providing apart from `coverage` also `coverage2` and `coverage-2.7`.
>>>
>>> In combination with Macports Portgroup which places these scripts end in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/ and links with version postfix are created. This leads to quite weird names link;
>>>
>>> - coverage-2.7
>>> - coverage2-2.7
>>> - coverage-2.7-27
>>
>> Yup, that’s weird and should be fixed.
>
> I already fixed this particular port by avoiding that the extra scripts are created, see #43105. There will be no `coverage2` script. This would require to have default versions for python 2.x and 3.x and I do not see any way to support this with the current select mechanism. But I guess this is not a big deal.

From what I see from the ports I installed, this is indeed handled correctly by most ports. So it is probably best just to correct the few ports which do not.

I found only py3?-ipython appending a 3 to the script's name

ipcluster3-3.3
ipcontroller3-3.3
ipengine3-3.3
iplogger3-3.3
iptest3-3.3
ipython3-3.3
irunner3-3.3
pycolor3-3.3

py27-mayavi @4.3.0 installing mayavi2-2.7 (is this for Python 2?)

scons @2.3.0: append scons version and provides 4 names for each script, which might be exaggerated. BTW: it might be reasonable to move this to py??-scons, unified port group and a select; (update)

  /opt/local/bin/scons
  /opt/local/bin/scons-2.3.0
  /opt/local/bin/scons-2.3.0-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/scons-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/scons-time
  /opt/local/bin/scons-time-2.3.0
  /opt/local/bin/scons-time-2.3.0-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/scons-time-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/sconsign
  /opt/local/bin/sconsign-2.3.0
  /opt/local/bin/sconsign-2.3.0-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/sconsign-2.7

py27-unittest2 @0.5.1_1: the unit2.py-?.? name could e removed

  /opt/local/bin/unit2-2.7
  /opt/local/bin/unit2.py-2.7

So, I move this thread to tickets filed against these ports. If someone is aware of other cases, he/she might won't compile tickets as well. If there is `nomaintainer`, feel free to CC me.

~petr