compiler.blacklist

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat May 3 05:28:00 PDT 2014

At 8:34 PM -0500 5/2/14, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On May 2, 2014, at 20:20, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>>  For my mythtv-core.xx ports, I want to blacklist clang prior to
>>XCode 5, so I added:
>>
>>  compiler.blacklist-append { clang <= 500.2.79 } \
>  >    macports-clang*
>>
>>  That doesn't work when I build on Lion with XCode 4.3.3 (clang
>>318.0.61)--it tries to build with clang and falls over.
>
>That sounds like you may not have included the
>compiler_blacklist_versions 1.0 portgroup. If you do that, it should
>do what you say: blacklist all MacPorts clangs, and Xcode clangs
>less than 500. So on Macs with Xcode 4 or earlier, you'll be
>building with llvm-gcc-4.2 or gcc-4.2. Is that really what you want?
>If Xcode 5's clang is ok, presumably MacPorts clang 3.5 would work
>too, maybe even 3.4, and those would probably be preferable to the
>old llvm-gcc or gcc.

You are indeed correct; the line to add the
compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup got dropped somewhere along the
way.  And the buildbots were down when the change was committed.

Is this something that lint could be made to pick up?  ie a compiler
version comparison used but required PortGroup missing?

Pre-XCode 5, Myth builds and runs fine with gcc and llvm-gcc.  The
the upstream project only recently put in some fixes that allow it to
build with later versions of clang.

Re MacPorts-supplied versions of clang, I simply haven't tried to
build with them.  I cribbed that section from qt4-mac port since it
had the same issue with LIBRARY_PATH that I had.  The
'macports-clang*' exclusion is probably extraneous but I wanted to be
sure to use know-working compilers, only.

Thanks again,

Craig