[120217] trunk/dports/graphics/tiff/Portfile

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon May 19 16:37:29 PDT 2014

Hi,

> I've been trying to solve this problem, but tiff's build system is
> horrible and is not making it easy for me. Here's the ticket under
> which I'm working on this:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43642

We could add a way for Portfiles to request being run in trace mode
automatically for problematic ports like this one. That would solve
this problem on all systems that support trace mode (and the ones
that don't aren't very relevant anymore anyway).

I'm thinking of
 $phase.trace
with a default value of "auto" which would obey the command line flag
and the values "off" for ports that break with trace mode and "always"
for cases like tiff.

That being said, the issue at hand is currently not mitigated by trace
mode, because tiff's configure picks up X libs at /usr/X11/lib and
includes at /usr/X11/include, but /usr/X11 is a symlink to /opt/X11
with XQuartz installed. Trace mode currently only checks the last
component of a path for symlinks for performance reasons. If we had
better caching I'd enable checking for (and expansion of) symlinks at
every path component. That would also be desirable for Qt-based
projects, which heavily use directory symlinks in their build process.

--
Clemens Lang