[127649] trunk/dports/devel/git-extras/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 1 02:26:51 PDT 2014

On Oct 31, 2014, at 9:55 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2014-11-1 03:51 , Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

>>> I was under the impression since the checksums were different, this would causes issues w/o a revision change.
>>
>> Due to the way GitHub tarballs are generated, the tarballs were probably not identical, even though their file contents might have been.
>
> Bumping the revision doesn't help in this case. Changing dist_subdir does.

Changing dist_subdir was not necessary in this case because the distnames were different.

The revision field is used to cause users to rebuild a port, so only increase the revision if users would benefit by rebuilding. Usually that's only when the files the port installs change, or if the library or runtime dependencies change. In this case nothing changed for users who already had the port installed so the revision should not have been increased.