svn fetch multiple directories

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 13 14:27:06 PDT 2014

On Oct 13, 2014, at 4:15 PM, Mark Brethen wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Why do you need to fetch from multiple URLs?
>
> The repository contains files for windows, linux, etc. (everything but the kitchen sink) which is unnecessary for macports (the install takes an hour because I'm limited to checking out the whole trunk for each subport).

OK. So if we did cache svn checkouts, that would help in that you wouldn't have to spend a lot of time downloading, but you would still have unnecessary files on disk.

Recent versions of svn include pretty good support for sparse checkouts, but MacPorts doesn't have any support for that, so if you wanted to make use of that you'd have to write custom fetch code again. :/

In this case I'd probably set svn.url to the "main" URL, i.e. whichever URL will provide the largest amount of data, and then use a post-fetch block to get the rest of them. This way if we do eventually cache the checkout from the svn.url, you'll get the biggest benefit.