CFPreferences warnings

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 08:42:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org>
wrote:

> I'm working on a new version of MythTV and building in a non-standard
> prefix (/opt/dvr).  I'm getting hundreds of warning messages like the
> following:
>
>  2014-10-16 10:43:03.178 osacompile[23932:90b] CFPreferences: user home
>> directory at file://localhost/opt/local/var/macports/home/ is
>> unavailable. User domains will be volatile.

This is just that these programs (in particular osacompile which is the
Applescript compiler) use the CFPreferences framework, which always looks
for stuff in $HOME before system locations, and for whatever reason the
fake home directory used by MacPorts builds is still pointing at /opt/local
instead of /opt/dvr. Since I don't see a macports.conf entry for it, this
may well indicate a shortcoming in the MacPorts base.

That said, since you are not actually (and should not be!) using the local
settings these programs are looking for, the warnings are harmless.