[127391] trunk/dports/kde

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 20:24:04 PDT 2014

Hi Ryan,

On 27/10/2014, at 1:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2014, at 9:03 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:

>>> My suggestions are:
>>>
>>> We try to avoid variant names beginning with "no". We try to use variant names that
>>> mention enabling something, rather than names that mention disabling something.
>>
>> No problem with that… :-)
>>
>>> When there is a variant that aids in debugging a program, it is typically named "debug".
>>
>> With all due respect, Ryan (and my respect for you is very great), please not this hoary
>> old chestnut… :-)
>
> I didn't realize this topic was hoary or a chestnut!
>

>> Variants in MacPorts are global in scope, which means that variants like "debug" and
>> also "docs" get applied to *every* dependency, back as far as Sumerian clay tablets… :-)
>> With KDE and Qt having such a long list of dependencies, well…
>
> Well, variants are passed on to *uninstalled* dependencies. If dependencies are already installed, they're not rebuilt with that variant. So if you don't want the variant passed down to uninstalled dependencies, install the dependencies first. For example, you could install the port normally first, without the debug variant, which would install all needed dependencies. Then you can reinstall the port with the +debug variant and only that port will be built with the debug variant.

Well, I just tried that and here is what happened…

Tara:~>sudo port install palapeli +debug
--->  Computing dependencies for palapeli
--->  Fetching archive for palapeli
--->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/palapeli
--->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/palapeli
--->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3_0+debug.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://nue.de.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/palapeli
--->  Fetching distfiles for palapeli
--->  Attempting to fetch palapeli-4.13.3.tar.xz from http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/kde/stable/4.13.3/src
--->  Verifying checksums for palapeli
--->  Extracting palapeli
Error: org.macports.extract for port palapeli returned:

ERROR:
 In order to install this port as +debug,
Qt4 must also be installed with +debug.

Cheers, Ian W.