unsigned kexts on Yosemite

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 19:42:01 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> So, this is interesting:
>
> <
> http://dan.langille.org/2014/10/28/getting-openconnect-tuntap-working-on-yosemite-osx/
> >

> Unless the author missed a step, it appears to be saying that kextload
> will load unsigned kexts. Can anyone confirm or deny? (I don't have any
> unsigned kexts handy to try.)

My read is that it works *in a dedicated LaunchDaemon*. If you follow the
link to the Homebrew ticket, it shows failure running it directly but
success in a dedicated LaunchDaemon. I am aware of failures when done from
a LaunchDaemon that also does other things, so I suspect the fact that it's
explicitly running /sbin/kextload as the "daemon" is significant.

I'm wondering how long that loophole lasts.