py27-omniORBpy pre-built binary trouble

Thomas G Lockhart tlockhart1976 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:44:54 PDT 2014

I’m configuring a new machine (running Mavericks) and notice that some packages I’m used to building from source are available as pre-built binaries. That is great. But one package, py27-omniORBpy, wants to put its python files under /opt/local/lib/ when installed using “port install py27-omniORBpy”, whereas the prerequisite package omniORB wants to put its python libraries under /opt/local/Library/

I’d expect both of these to install python code under /opt/local/Library/, and in fact py27-omniORBpy *does* do that when built from source using “port install -s py27-omniORBpy”.

Any ideas on what might be causing these differences? py27-omniORBpy is broken when the python libraries are put into /opt/local/lib/ since they need to be in the same lookup paths as the python bits in the omniORB package.

Suggestions appreciated. TIA

              - Tom