Unexpected clean

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 07:17:42 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> It's not entirely obvious what the 'correct' behavior would be, though.
>
> Your new omniORBpy (upgraded with -u) is the only one available after the
> upgrade. The installed openmodelica-devel is now broken (won't work with
> the new omniORBpy). rev-upgrade /could/ ignore the -u and build a new
> openmodelica-devel to fix the issue for you, but you wouldn't be able to
> re-activate the old one and have it work.
>
> I would suggest that what you actually want to be doing is something like:
>
> port upgrade outdated
> port uninstall inactive and not openmodelica-devel (and maybe using one or
> more of the pseudo-portname selectors to also hang on to any old
> dependencies or dependents).

I was wondering if the right thing to do is create local ports of the old
versions, possibly modified to install in separate places so they can all
be concurrently active. This would also allow rev-upgrade to rebuild the
old version against the new dependencies. (But does not address the problem
of old versions not being compatible with newer versions of dependencies;
this isn't really a simply solvable case.)