MySQL variant names

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 13 18:23:46 PDT 2014

We need to do some work making MySQL variant names consistent in ports and adding variants to ports for newer MySQL ports.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39961
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44484

What should the variant names be? The ports the variants would use are:

mysql51 @5.1.72
mysql55 @5.5.38
mysql56 @5.6.19
mariadb @5.5.39
mariadb-10.0 @10.0.12
mariadb-10.1 @10.1.0
percona @5.6.19-67.0

(The mysql4 and mysql5 ports would be made obsolete and any remaining variants using those ports would be made aliases for newer variants.)

The difficulty is that the newest ports mariadb-10.0 and mariadb-10.1 use a hyphen in their names, and the hyphen is not a legal character in variant names.

Do we want the variants to be named without dots in the version number:

mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mariadb55
mariadb100
mariadb101
percona56

Or with dots:

mysql5.1
mysql5.5
mysql5.6
mariadb5.5
mariadb10.0
mariadb10.1
percona5.6

Or do we want whether there is a dot in the version number to be based on the corresponding port name:

mysql51
mysql55
mysql56
mariadb55
mariadb10.0
mariadb10.1
percona56

Or something else?

I would like to avoid having variants named just "mariadb" or "percona" because they give the erroneous impression that they are the preferred variant to use for that fork, or perhaps that they are the latest version of that fork.

Which of the variants should be default? I would suggest either the latest stable mariadb, or the latest stable Oracle mysql.