MySQL variant names

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 15 13:39:55 PDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Is a dot "." a legal character in variant names?

Oh, you're right, we have been avoiding dots in variant names. We have a lint check that says "use [A-Za-z0-9_]+ only".

Using "-" in a variant name probably actually causes a problem (because it could get confused with the syntax for disabling a variant). However I'm not sure if "." is really a problem or if we were just being overly cautious and could relax that restriction.