Retiring Python 2.4 and 2.5

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Sep 15 22:44:17 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Clemens Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ----- On 16 Sep, 2014, at 03:56, Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org wrote:
>
>> Is there some overwhelmingly good reason we still provide these, given that 2.7
>> is still alive and kicking? Can we please stop providing them?
>
> If I were you, I'd set a timeout and if nobody argues that we should keep them
> for a good reason, delete them once the timeout has passed. Probably ask -users,
> too.
>
> While we're at it, isn't 2.6 unsupported as well?

Version 2.6 is still useful to allow installing things like
py26-wxpython-2.8 and py27-wxpython-3.0 side-by-side without
conflicts. But I totally support removing python 2.4 and 2.5.

We could limit the use of 2.6 to ports like the one with wxWidgets and
gradually remove 2.6 from the rest until we retire it completely. (I
wouldn't oppose removing the ports that still depend on wxPython 2.8 a
year or two from now.)

Mojca