MySQL variant names

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Tue Sep 16 09:28:53 PDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 10:37 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>>
>>> Is a dot "." a legal character in variant names?
>>
>> Oh, you're right, we have been avoiding dots in variant names. We have a lint check that says "use [A-Za-z0-9_]+ only".
>>
>> Using "-" in a variant name probably actually causes a problem (because it could get confused with the syntax for disabling a variant). However I'm not sure if "." is really a problem or if we were just being overly cautious and could relax that restriction.
>
> Personally I would be in favour of +mysql5.5, +mariadb10.0 (also in
> favour of renaming the port to mysql-5.5)

Developing documentation or scripts to help users move their mysql databases in var/db/name_mysql and conf files in etc/name_mysql, would make replacing/renaming the mysqls' (mysql4, mysql5, mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, mariadb, mariadb-10.0, mariadb-10.1, soon soon mysql-5.7) much easier to support.

Lack of support time is the primary reason I have not replaced mysql{4,5} with mysql5{1 or 5}. I believe we need a community support plan for such a move, or someone more courageous then I.

Would it  be worth developing a basic script to include with the "mysql_select" port that safely moves db and conf files, appending a timestamp to existing dirs? Does someone have one already?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)