getting ahold of Portfile and files/ for a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 16 18:35:57 PDT 2014

On Sep 16, 2014, at 8:27 PM, Matt Wette wrote:

> I am new to the list.

Welcome!

> I have started working on a guile20 port (for guile v 2.0.11).  I'd like to call it guile20 to be distinct from the current guile (v 1.8.8) port.  There is a guile16, so I'd like to check out the patches to see if/how it can be installed alongside the guile port.

Have you seen the ticket for this? There have already been two proposals for this update.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29307

Our previous strategy has been to leave the no-version port at the latest version (i.e. guile would be version 2) while new versioned ports can be created for older versions if they're still needed (i.e. guile18 would be created for version 1.8.8).

> Is there a port command to see what conflicts with a package (e.g., with guile16)?

No; we rely on port developers to discover which packages conflict with one another; this is then indicated manually in those ports.

> Is there a way to get my hands on the guile16 port files?  Do I need to pull from SVN?

If you have MacPorts installed and have run "sudo port sync", you already have the latest files in the directory identified by the command "port dir guile16". You can also get them from Subversion.