echo script output to the display

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Sep 25 11:07:44 PDT 2014

On Sep 25, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Eric Gallager <egall at gwmail.gwu.edu> wrote:

> which, on another tangent, is actually normally called `check` according to the GNU Coding standards: http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html#Standard-Targets. I keep finding myself having to override the default `test.cmd` in my Portfiles to set it to `check` because of this.

You can achieve this with "test.target check".

> Also note that this target is listed under "Standard Targets for Users", so I think that would be another point of evidence for `port test` being a command for end users to use).

I disagree. Those are merely targets intended to be invoked externally, as opposed to targets for the build's internal use.

> About the actual topic of this thread, which is displaying the output
> of the `system` command in Portfiles: I kinda wish that this output
> was displayed as well

I very much dislike this idea as a whole. I don't think any build should be allowed to clutter MacPorts' output without the user explicitly asking for verbose or debug output.

vq