imake

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Sep 29 07:26:21 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

>> rasmol - Packaged version released in 2008, latest release was in 2009
>
> This is probably used by some of our scientist users. There does seem to
> be a 2.7.5.2 release from 2011, and more files added to their
> sourceforge site in 2013. So certainly not dead. (Probably just
> developed by academics in their spare time, like many such tools.)

I totally agree with the last few sentences.

I used rasmol lot in the past, but haven't used it for years now.
Tools like pymol have been developed in the meantime which are using
newer technologies and are slightly more user-friendly. Still, this
doesn't mean that authors shouldn't be asked about moving to a modern
build system. Or that MacPorts definitely needs to support the tool
(they seem to provide some apple-specific downloads).

Mojca