MacPorts-MySQL Dictator wanted, prefer benevolent

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Tue Sep 30 08:37:40 PDT 2014

By way of background, my MythTV ports depend on p5.16-dbd-mysql,
py27-mysql and php-5-mysql.  Previously, all of these defaulted to
the now-obsolete mysql5 variant.  Now, py-mysql defaults to
mariadb55.  p516-dbd-mysql offers a "mariadb" variant; not
"mariadb55".  php5-mysql defaults to mysqlind ("MySQL native driver")
and offers a "mariadb" variant; again not "mariadb55".
p5.16-dbd-mysql still defaults to mysql5.

The subtle variance in naming the variants creates confusion.  The
range of defaults can lead to bloat and confusion.

Initially, I found there was a ticket related to py-mysql database
variants [1] and I filed additional tickets for php5-mysql [2] and
p5-dbd-mysql [3].  Since then, I thought to search for other ports
that offer variants related to MySQL ('port echo variant:mysql*')--a
total of 89 ports, of which about 20 are subports.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39068
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44481
[3] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44484

The tickets have been open for 6 weeks or more with no movement.
I've started to do some analysis on this (with another thread asking
for help) to see if we can standardize on a list of MySQL-related
variant names and maybe even agree on a common default.

That's where the dictator comes in.  At the moment, I would say the
obvious choices for a default MySQL variant would be mysql55,
mariadb55 or, maybe, mysql56.  AFAICT there is no clear-cut,
compelling reason to choose one over the others (technical, legal,
religious, whatever).  Other threads have touched on this issue,
recently, with no clear consensus developed.  Nonetheless, I think
the MacPorts project would be better served by blessing one that can
hold us for a few years rather than have various ports going in all
different directions.

Is this something that the PortMgr group could take the lead on?

Craig