mpi

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Sep 30 19:44:09 PDT 2014

On Sep 30, 2014, at 10:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>> Why can't all a port's variants be installed at the same time?
>>
>> $ port install boost
>> $ port install boost +gcc48
>>
>> Every port could have its own custom prefix and only the active one
>> would be a symlink in /opt/local.
>
> That's not what variants are for. That's what subports are for.

Subports don't install files differently from regular ports, though. Sean's proposal (as I understand it) is more or less how Homebrew installs things. You'd end up with something like this:

/opt/local/
├── bin/
│   └── foo -> ../dports/foo+bar/bin/foo
├── etc/
├── lib/
│   └── libfoo.dylib -> ../dports/foo+bar/lib/libfoo.dylib
├── dports/
│   ├── foo+bar/
│   │   ├── bin/
│   │   │   └── foo
│   │   ├── etc/
│   │   ├── lib/
│   │   │   └── libfoo.dylib
│   │   ├── share/
│   │   └── var/
│   └── foo+baz/
│       ├── bin/
│       │   └── foo
│       ├── etc/
│       ├── lib/
│       │   └── libfoo.dylib
│       ├── share/
│       └── var/
├── share/
└── var/

MacPorts keeps simultaneously-installed (but not active) ports in archives; Homebrew keeps them in subdirectories.

vq