[134818] trunk/dports/graphics/lib2geom/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 8 13:49:28 PDT 2015

On Apr 8, 2015, at 7:41 AM, David Evans wrote:

> Thanks for these enhancements, particularly the use of the "expand operator", introduced in Tcl 8.5, in preference to the now deprecated 'eval'. [1]
>
> I note, however, that the use of 'eval' is fairly wide spread throughout the ports, PortGroups and base as well as the usage examples provided for the 'xinstall' command in the Guide.
>
> If the goal is to use Tcl 8.5 preferred syntax throughout (a good idea IMO), then it might be prudent to make a more explicit announcement of that policy, including updating the Guide, so that all maintainers are aware of the issue.

Yes, we should use Tcl 8.5 constructs now that MacPorts uses its bundled copy of Tcl 8.5. We were previously prevented from doing that when we were using the system version of Tcl because Tiger and Leopard have Tcl 8.4.

Yes, use of eval is widespread in MacPorts since it was the only way to expand lists before. Now that we can use the expand operator instead, we should use that where we can. Because of my unfamiliarity with this new operator, I've only been making the change when I'm already rebuilding the port for some other reason (such as an update) so that I can verify I've done it correctly, but even then I forget sometimes or don't notice a port's existing use of eval. I remembered that we had a published example of using eval with xinstall and glob, and when making these changes to lib2geom I checked the PortfileRecipes wiki page and didn't find it there, but I forgot to check the guide; thanks Joshua for fixing it there.