about vim and the settings line in Portfiles

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 06:12:37 PDT 2015

On Sunday April 12 2015 02:28:20 Mihai Moldovan wrote:

>I don't get why anyone would use something like xterm, but why don't you
>give rxvt-unicode a try which has proper Unicode support?

Mainly because overall I'm perfectly happy with xterm (and I have a memory of rxvt not offering any advantages but instead getting in my way).

Unicode support isn't the issue here. XTerm does have it; it's just that activating it means a lot of key combinations I use as shortcuts ("maps") in vim change meaning. I'm not convinced that would be any different with rxvt (iow, the real culprit here may be vim itself).