standard way to require c++11?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:54:02 PDT 2015

On Tuesday April 14 2015 08:56:48 Brandon Allbery wrote:

>> would you not use libstdc++, if it works *and* can be used -- together
>> with GCC -- to compile C++11 code?
>

>Last I checked, it doesn't work; Apple does not and will not ship a
>libstdc++ that is C++11-compatible, because all such are GPL3.

It's a pity they don't even provide the source code for such a libstdc++ version, IIUC there are no legal naggles with doing that. And I think even the average Joe User who would have need for it would be capable of following build and install instructions or execute a script that does all the work.
Anyway, it is how it is (and providing free OS upgrades means you can feel like getting away with not maintaining older versions and all that O:-) ).

R.