port: new action_environment and/or environment mode

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Apr 14 13:59:31 PDT 2015

On Apr 14, 2015, at 4:31 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <pixilla at macports.org> wrote:

> I opened a ticket for this simple base patch:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47442
>
> My knowledge of tcl and base is limited, I know my code needs cleanup and tests. Looking for feedback to decide if I should continue.
>
> The goal is a simpler way for users to provide env vars.
>
> Votes up or down if you think this is worth the bloat will be appreciated.

This is generally a good idea, and something I've also thought about implementing. It'd be nice to avoid implementing this inside macports.tcl, though.

<bikeshedding>

I don't know if "port environment" is a great action name, since the "environment" is already something specific to *nix. I've always envisioned something like this:

$ port config
prefix=/opt/local
portdbpath=/opt/local/var/macports
[...]

$ port config prefix
/opt/local

$ port config build_arch
x86_64

$ port config foobarbaz
[write "Nonexistent setting" to stderr, return non-zero]

</bikeshedding>

vq