cross-port ${filespath} access?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 15 10:49:16 PDT 2015

On Apr 14, 2015, at 1:56 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> Not upstream, this is something done in the post-destroot (and I'm the original author of the Portfile)

You shouldn't try to make one port use another port's files, via symlinks or other trickery.

Subports can and often do share patchfiles. But sometimes even that can be problematic. In the php port, for example, I need similar patches for several versions of PHP, but sometimes the patches differ slightly, so after initially wanting the ports to share the patches, I copied the patches for each version of PHP.

Same when I have patches for a port and its -devel version: I maintain two copies of the patches. This is helpful when let's say a -devel changes something so that the patch needs to change. I can have the changed patch in the -devel port, and then later when the stable version is updated, I can copy or adapt the patch from the -devel version.