Port xapian-bindings' dependency on MacPorts' (outdated) ruby port

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 16 00:54:30 PDT 2015

On 16/04/15 08:18, Marko Käning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make use of xapian-bindings, which has a dependency on MacPorts'
> ruby, which currently results in version 1.8.7
> ---
> $ ruby --version
> ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel 374) [i686-darwin13]
> ---
>
> Now I ask myself, whether this port deliberately asks for this old version, or
> whether one perhaps could drop this dependency altogether, as I am obviously
> having ruby installed natively in a much newer version on 10.9 and 10.10:

If the port needs ruby it should depend on a macports ruby version and
not rely on the system one, regardless of what version the system one
is. This is normal macports behavior, to provide a standard version
across all OSX versions.

Instead, why not update its dependency to one of the newer ruby ports
macports provides. There are several, going up to 2.2.X

ruby19 @1.9.3-p551 (lang, ruby)
     Powerful and clean object-oriented scripting language

ruby20 @2.0.0-p643 (lang, ruby)
     Powerful and clean object-oriented scripting language

ruby21 @2.1.5 (lang, ruby)
     Powerful and clean object-oriented scripting language

ruby22 @2.2.1 (lang, ruby)
     Powerful and clean object-oriented scripting language

Chris