El Capitan Buildbot

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Aug 17 07:23:20 PDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 5:03 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> I don't want to be pessimistic, but I will be enormously happy if
> we'll get the buildbot up and running at all.
> Given how long the 10.6 and 10.7 buildbots have been broken ...
>
> And yes, it would make a lot of sense to start the process now if
> there is anyone at Apple who is willing and able to look into it.

Given the time it's taken in the past to get a build slave set up and
the difficulty with fixing errors when is it worthwhile to start
looking at setting up a slave that's under closer control?
This could run the gamut from a hosted VM to a spare machine that
someone is willing to keep in a closet.

I already archive all my packages on a home NAS and, if everyone was
trusted on the Internet, MacPorts could just accept package uploads
from anyone to be shared to all. Conceptually, there's no real
difference with any of the committers (maybe just the management team
or elder council) being able to share packages and someone from the
team being able to configure the official build slave.

I suppose I'd be personally happy just running a VM slave on my NAS.
Though that doesn't contribute anything to anyone else and not
everyone has the means to host their own buildbot. Are the buildbots
just using MPAB?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448